Leapwork offers users three different types of licenses i.e. Trial, Platform & Enterprise. In this article, we will learn how to smoothly migrate using the Leapwork automation tool from a Platform Version to Enterprise Version.
Download the Leapwork software Click here
Download the Migration Tool Click here
Make sure the MSSQL Server and SSMS are installed with the required access.
There can be two scenarios one can face while migrating to an Enterprise version of Leapwork:
Scenario 1: Migrating to the same Leapwork version for Enterprise. E.g.: (Leapwork 2021.1.501 Platform Version to Leapwork Enterprise Version 2021.1.501)
Scenario 2: Migrating to an upgraded version for Enterprise. E.g.: (Leapwork 2021.1.387 to Leapwork 2021.1.501)
In Scenario 1, there is no need to upgrade the platform version and we can directly jump to “Backup Process”.
In Scenario 2, Upgrade the Leapwork version to the version on which we are migrating to the enterprise. (Recommended to follow a backup process before upgrading)
Step 1 - Backup Process:
To prevent data loss and prepare for any unforeseen problems during the migration, we strongly encourage you to perform a backup of Leapwork before starting the migration process.
Export all the flows and save them.
Stop Leapwork Controller service and take a backup of C:\Program Files\LEAPWORK\Assets folder, which has SQLite database files. Refer to this article for backup best practices. Click here.
Save the encryption key for the database, including the admin password.
Step 2 - Uninstall the Previous Version:
Uninstall the Platform version of Leapwork from the machine
1. To uninstall the Platform version, Go to Control Panel – Program & Features
Select Leapwork and uninstall it.
2. Remove the folder C:\Program Files\LEAPWORK
*Note - Ensure you have taken a backup of the Assets before deleting this folder.
3. Remove the Leapwork folder from the registry editor.
Path - Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LEAPWORK
Step 3 - MSSQL Server Database user permissions
1. Open SSMS connect to SQL Server
2. Go to security - login - username, right-click and go to the properties
3. Check Server Roles, the user must have dbcreator and public roles selected.
4. In User Mapping, the user should have a public role map with the master, asset & report database.
Step 4 - Install the Enterprise Version
Follow the steps from the reference article - Click here
Please open Leapwork studio and try to make any flow, save, modify & delete just to confirm you have all the necessary permissions over the database created in the enterprise installation.
Step 5 - Migration Process
Open the Migration Tool
Encryption Key – Encryption key of platform version database
Username – MSSQL username
Password – MSSQL password
Server Address – Hostname or IP of the machine on which MSSQL is hosted/installed.
Initial Catalog – Leave it to default “master”.
Integrated Security – Leave it to default SSPI.
Connection Type – Choose “Trusted Connection” if are using windows authentication for MSSQL, else choose “Standard Security” if you use SQL User authentication.
Asset database name – Choose the database one you have created for Asset during enterprise installation.
Report database name - Choose the database one you have created for Report during enterprise installation.
Database – Select MSSQL.
Click on Test Connection, if it’s successful click on SAVE.
*Note – If you are using windows authentication for MSSQL, before performing migration go to services. Right on the LEAPWORK_CONTROLLER service, and go to properties, and go Log On Tab. Put the credential used to log on into the MSSQL Server.
Click OK, and restart the service.
2. Go to Migration Tool, STOP the controller service on the migration tool, and go to Migration TAB.
3. Explore the “Assets” folder from the backup, select all the SQLite DB as shown in the above image.
4. Click on Migrate, a popup will appear for the encryption key. Enter the encryption key for the SQLite database saved in the backup process.
5. Wait for the Migration to finish.
6. Click on Configuration and start the controller service.
7. Launch Leapwork.
8. Click on the hyperlink and generate the license key for the enterprise version, Enter the license key and you are ready to use the enterprise version.
For any clarification, please contact our Priority Support.