There are times when it may be necessary to move the LEAPWORK Controller from one machine to another, either because you gained a new machine, data storage, or are impacted by various other factors. In any case, a migration is necessary for the transfer of your flows data, and other files stored on an old Controller, migrating to a new Controller.
Database key backup
Before beginning with data migration, ensure that you have a database encryption key for all stored data in LEAPWORK, as assets are encrypted and stored in an embedded SQLite database.
A restored LEAPWORK system could include the creation of a new Controller machine. In order for the new Controller to read restored SQLite files, a decryption key is necessary. If LEAPWORK Studio has not been previously connected to a specific Controller, you will receive a prompt to enter a valid encryption key for all SQLite files. Therefore, it is important to maintain a backup/restore strategy to secure the SQLite decryption key files.
Access the Decryption Key
- Open LEAPWORK Studio
- Go to Settings
- Click on Controller Settings
- Right-click on the Controller instance that you want to access
- Click option Show Database encryption key and it will display the key needed to access the database files.
Note, the database encryption key is generated by and locally stored in your Controller instance. It is not accessible to the LEAPWORK staff, as LEAPWORK will not be able to assist you in retrieving this key. Additionally, this key is unique to each Controller instance – if you need the key for all Controllers in your environment, you must repeat the above instructions for each Controller instance.
Migration of a Controller
For example, Machine A is hosting an old Controller and Machine B will host a new Controller. The following procedures should be performed on both machines.
Machine A: Old Controller (2018.1 or above)
Before beginning with Controller migration, perform a backup of the latest data.
Prepare the backup
- Log in to a Controller machine
- Stop the LEAPWORK Controller services
- Go to C:\Program Files\LEAPWORK folder
- Copy the Assets folder
- Navigate to the backup location
- Paste the Assets folder and wait until the file copy process has completed
Please refer to the article How to Backup and Restore LEAPWORK database to read more about the backup process.
Migrate to a new Controller
Once you have the database encryption key and database backup, you are ready for migration. Review the following steps:
Machine B: New Controller (2018.1 or above)
- Install LEAPWORK Controller (same version as Studio and Agent)
- Stop the LEAPWORK Controller Windows service.
- Replace all of the *.sqlite files from the Assets library.
- Start the LEAPWORK Controller Windows service.
- Open LEAPWORK Studio and enter the encryption key for the database
- Open LEAPWORK Studio and confirm that all of your flows, data, and users, etc., are present. If yes, then you are finished with the backup process.
If you have any questions, contact our Priority Support.