At times, it is required to move the controller from one machine to another machine due to a powerful new machine, data storage or various other factors. However, there's nothing more daunting than realizing that you have to move all your Flows Data and other files from your old controller machine (Referred as A) to the new machine(Referred as B).
Fortunately, you don't have to wait for external help! Here is step by step procedure for controller migration.
Database key backup
Before starting migration user have to make sure that they have Database encryption key with them, all data stored in LEAPWORK, Assets, are encrypted and stored in an embedded SQLite database.
A restore of a LEAPWORK system could include the creation of a new Controller machine, and in order for the new Controller to read the restored SQLite files, the decryption key for the files is needed. The first time LEAPWORK Studio connects to a Controller where the license key has not been entered for the SQLite files, you will be prompted to insert a valid decryption key. It is, therefore, an important part of the backup/restore strategy to maintain the decryption key for the SQLite files safe.
Getting the Decryption Key
- Open your LEAPWORK Studio
- Go to Settings
- Click on Controller settings
- Right click on the Controller instance you want to access
- Click option 'Show Database encryption key' will display the key needed to access the database files.
Please note that the key is generated by and stored in your Controller instance. It is not visible or in any way available for LEAPWORK staff, so LEAPWORK will not be able to assist you in retrieving this key. Also note, that it is a key unique to each Controller instance – if you need the key for all Controllers in your environment, you must repeat the above instructions for each Controller instance.
Migration of controller
Let's assume that Machine A is hosting old controller and Machine B is going to host new controller. Below are the instructions to be followed in both machines.
Machine A: Old controller (2018.1 or above)
Before starting migration we have to take full data backup of our latest work, it will help in so resuming our work on the latest updates and also in case of any mishap.
Getting backup ready
- Login to Controller machine
- Stop the LEAPWORK Controller services
- Go to C:\Program Files\LEAPWORK folder
- Copy Asset folder
- Navigate to the Backup location
- Paste Asset folder and wait till file copy process is completed
Please refer How to Backup and Restore LEAPWORK database article to read in details about backup process.
Migrating to new controller
Once you have Database encryption key and Database backup, you are all set for migration, follow below steps
Machine B: New controller (2018.1 or above)
- Install LEAPWORK controller (same version as Studio and Agent)
- Stop the LEAPWORK Controller windows service.
- Replace all the *.sqlite files from the Assets library.
- Start the LEAPWORK Controller windows service.
- Open LEAPWORK studio and enter Encryption key for DB
Open studio and confirm that all your flows, data and users etc. are there if yes then you are done with the backup processes.
For any clarification, please contact our Priority Support.