PLEASE NOTE! If you are upgrading from a version prior to 2018.1.*, e.g. 2.5.*, please use the 2018.1 upgrade guide instead of this installation guide.
To get an overview of the components of the LEAPWORK Automation Platform, please visit the Architecture Overview.
To start the installation, do the following:
Double-click the .msi-file to start the installation.
The first screen will display the version number and ensure that the downloaded version fits your computer. Click 'Next' to begin the installation.
4. Choose which of the three components to install on the computer. Do this by clicking the drop arrows and choosing the appropriate option for each component. For trial purposes, keep the default selection (all three components).
5. The Configuration screen contains properties used for one or more of the components. All settings can be changed afterwards in the config files for the individual components:
‘ a. 'studio\studio.config’
The files are in the installation directory – typically ‘c:\program files\LEAPWORK\’.
6. Select the second radio button on the screen, click on the "Get a License key" and log in with your LEAPWORK web credentials to generate your license
8. In you experience problems with the login, please contact LEAPWORK Customer Success.
After successful login on leapwork.com, the license management page opens. This page contains a few different sections:
Get license key:
Use the form to generate a new license key by doing the following:
Select an active subscription
Select the kind of license to generate a license key for. It is possible to generate license keys for Agents only and add them to an existing Controller.
Specify the number of Agents to add to the license, unless the license type is 'Controller only'.
Click 'Get license key'
Copy the license key by clicking 'Copy license key'
Path to assets. This is the path to the file system folder which contains the encrypted SQLite database files holding all LEAPWORK assets, including automation flows, schedules, and run results.
Controller port. The Studio and the Controller always communicate using internal API calls, and this requires the use of a TCP port. The default is port 9000, which you can change to any other port number that is not in use by other software on your computer. NOTE: Unless it is necessary for any particular reason, we do not recommend changing either the Controller, Controller API or Agent port numbers.
Controller API port. For any integration effort, access LEAPWORK’s open REST API using the default port number 9001, which you can change to any other port number that is not in use by other software on your computer. NOTE: Unless it is necessary for any particular reason, we do not recommend changing either the Controller, Controller API, or Agent port numbers.
Add exceptions for the Controller in Windows Firewall. A check in this box will direct the installation process to add a rule to the Windows Firewall to permit all incoming connections to the Controller. NOTE: Because the LEAPWORK Automation Platform is also often used in already secure corporate test networks, the password is optional.
Enterprise users would see this extra configuration page:-
There are two Connection types which the user can choose from depending on their requirement:
he following settings can be configured for the Enterprise controller settings only:-
Report database name:- By default it is set to "Report", but you are free to modify it.
Asset database name:- By default it is set to "Assets", but you are free to modify it.
Server address:- The user can provide the details of their server address. If it's local then it should be localhost, or you can provide the remote IP address of that server.
Initial Catalog:- The user can provide the Initial Catalog
Connection Type:- Select the connection type.
User Name:- Provide the username of the database.
Password:- Enter the database password.
Integrated security:- You can enter your integrated security. By default this is set to SSPI.
Windows User Name:- You can enter your Windows username with domain information.
Windows Password:- You can enter your windows password.
After configuring all settings, click on “Test Connection” to check everything is correct.
2. Click “Next” on the configuration screen.
3. Please be sure to save the database encryption key, which is used to protect the database files created during the upgrade. This key enables the Controller to gain access to the database files. It’s also required if the Controller has to be moved to a new machine or in case a LEAPWORK system restore is needed. Save the key in a protected and safe place.
5. Click “Next” on the configuration screen.
The configuration screen contains several settings that you can modify before completing the installation. By default, the Agent talks to the Controller over port 6777, which the user can change if needed. LEAPWORK Agents now include a strong security feature to automate logging in and out of Windows. A user is no longer required to be logged into their machine in order to run a flow. Instead, LEAPWORK can be set up to login on the user’s behalf. Users can also start testing single-sign on between Windows and any other application that reuse the same login credentials. The User has to choose Windows login to be able to use Windows credentials to configure the Agent, OR the user can choose the old way of setting a password. The password is left blank by default.
Agent port. Automation flows run in the Agent, which communicates with the Studio and Controller through a closed remote-control protocol on a specific TCP port. The default port is 6777, which you can change to any other port number not in use by other software on the computer. NOTE: Unless it is necessary for any particular reason, we do not recommend changing either the Controller, Controller API, or Agent port numbers.
Agent password. Because the Agent uses a remote-control protocol, we advise that you set a password to prevent unauthorized parties from connecting to it.
The settings explained
Please note: LEAPWORK Agent passwords will begin deprecation and should be removed from the product before the end of the year.
Add exceptions for the Agent in Windows Firewall. A check in this box will direct the installation process to add a rule to the Windows Firewall to permit all incoming connections to the Agent.
6. When you are happy with the configuration, click “Next” to continue and then “Install” on the next screen:
7. After the installation is complete, click 'Continue'.
8. After the installation is complete, click ‘Ok’ and 'Finish' to exit the installer.
9. If you have an existing distributed setup of LEAPWORK, repeat the installation guide for each LEAPWORK component and machine in your environment.